Completed in 1904 to accommodate the increased passenger and freight business associated with the St. Louis World’s Fair, the original Post Office Annex was designed by St. Louis architects Eames & Young and erected by the nationally prominent company headed by George A. Fuller.
It featured a highly efficient plan with basement subway, hydraulic freight elevators and underground pneumatic tube design. The system was integrally related to the comprehensive plan for the swift handling of baggage and mail.
It was boasted in 1905 that letters mailed at the main Post Office downtown took less than six minutes to reach the Annex located 1.2 miles southwest and subsequently loaded onto an outbound train.
In 1979, fire gutted the interior of the Post Office Annex, extensively damaging the interior, roof and wooden framework.
The Korte Company was called upon to rehabilitate the facility, which included extensive structural repairs and restoration of the masonry and terra-cotta façade. The fire-damaged interior was completely gutted and renovated into Class A office space. It now features granite-paved floors with inset carpet borders and custom millwork including wainscoting, crown mold, base and window casings. Currently, the Annex is certified as a Historic Landmark within the Registry of National Historic Places.