In October of 2009, the brand new Owatonna Hospital was opened in the heart of Southern Minnesota. This hospital is an excellent example of the development and construction history that is in many of the old hospitals and other health institutions. Here follows a summary of the more than 100 years of history for Owatonna Hospital.
The Early Days
In 1900, the original hospital building, which then was a two-story brick home with a barn, was obtained for $6,500 and opened its doors to patients in early 1901. In its first year, the hospital cared for 105 patients. In 1906, the first addition to the hospital was made after a donation of $10,000 was received.
From 1908 to 1932, the development of a nursing school transpired because of the demands for more trained nurses. A second addition was constructed for $101,000, in 1931, which had an additional 50 beds available. This was done due to the increased patients in need of care.
In 1961 a two-story addition was completed as part of a $1.3 million construction project. This new addition was added to the building of 1931. Later in the same decade, a further 3rd floor was added to this building.
During 1984 construction started on a new hospital that would cost $7 million to complete. This was all completed in 1985 and the hospital received a new name: the “Health Central of Owatonna.” In 1991 a Department for Mental Health opened its doors for patients and offered different mental health treatments and evaluations.
In 1997, a $1.5 million renovation occurred. These renovations altered about 10,000 square feet of the entire hospital and its facilities. Further minor renovations also took place in the years of 1991-1992, 1998-1999 and in 2001 as well.
The Modern Era
New plans were made to start construction of a new Owatonna Clinic in the 26th street location in 1999 and they looked into obtaining further land to develop a healthcare campus. A recommendation was made in 2002 to start with the construction of a brand new hospital building, but was first based on a 3-year study.
In 2005 the recommendations for this new hospital construction were approved, and in 2006, funds totaling $46 million were released to begin with the planning and construction. In September of 2007, excavations began for the new hospital.
Finally, on October 16, 2009, the final opening of the new Owatonna Hospital took place.
References: Website of Allina, Hospitals & Clinics. Owatonna Hospital construction history Retrieved August 21, 2011, from http://www.allina.com/ahs/owatonna.nsf/page/construction http://www.owatonnahospital.com/ahs/owatonna.nsf/ http://www.steelecohistoricalsociety.org/schsexhibits/exhibit1/e10284a.htm