The $6 million renovation of the historic East St. Louis Federal Courthouse included a complete remodel of the building’s interior, which was overseen by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Restoration included removal of non-original walls and coverings, patching and the repair of ornamental wall plaster and architectural trim. The original, ornate plaster ceilings were exposed and repaired, as were the terrazzo and marble floors. The renovation also included the installation of new, energy-efficient windows designed to match the original architecture. Additionally, the slate mansard roof shingles were replaced.
All new systems were installed including central mechanical, sprinkler, electrical and plumbing. The historic restoration was overseen by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Originally built in 1910, the Greek Revival and Federal architecture styled facility was later renamed for U.S. Representative Melvin Price, an East St. Louis native who served in Congress from 1945 until his death in 1988. The facility was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2014.